Times are crazy right now, aren’t they? Unless you’ve been living under a rock you’re most certainly aware of the pandemic that’s currently happening. After a busy few weeks professionally, all of the craziness started happening and I’ve been busy getting used to my ‘new normal’ of working from home. Thankfully I work at a company that has the technology in place to allow us to fully work remote from home during this time.
In hopes of bringing you some light-hearted fun and provide ways to keep yourself busy while you’re staying at home, I’m going to work on posting more content for you to enjoy in addition to tons of book recommendations. This brings me to today’s topic: an introduction to a newly published novel, an entertaining exclusive interview, AND a few fun giveaways by the author. Check in soon for my review of her new book!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure here. Thanks!
Mom Genes by Hilary Grossman
Mom Genes is the second book in a 3-part series. It’s filled with entertaining characters and lots of laughs, so get ready for some fun! To celebrate her new book ‘Mom Genes’, the author Hilary has a couple of fun things going on.
Want to Get In on the Fun?!
- Get a Free E-Book: The first book in the 3-part series is on Amazon for FREE now until this Friday the 27th. Go get your copy of ‘Go On Girl’ now while it’s FREEEEE!
- Giveaway: use the rafflecopter link at the bottom of the post for your chance to win a $25 Starbucks giftcard! Now through Monday March 30th.
Books in the Forest River PTA Moms 3-part series:
Get to Know the Lady behind the Books
On being an Author:
What inspired you to write the Forest River PTA Moms series?
I always dreamt about writing a book. And while I started may stories over the years, I never stuck with them. Then I read Jen Lancaster’s book, Bitter is the New Black. Up until that point, I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t know what a blog or a memoir was. But she motivated me. I created my blog weeks after reading her book, and started to write Dangled Carat soon after.
How do you deal with criticism or rejection?
It’s not easy. But over time, you have no choice but to develop a thick skin. I liken criticism to food. Everyone has different tastes. Just because I love super spicy food there is nothing wrong with people who like their meals bland. We are just different.
What’s your favorite thing about being a writer?
Connecting with readers. I also love being part of the author community. Authors are the most generous people. They are always so eager to share their knowledge and offer encouragements.
Do you write with a plan or do you write and see where the story takes you?
I have a general idea, but I let the story take its own twists and turns
What are the challenges of writing a book series? Did you set out to write a series or decided to turn it into a series once you got to a certain point?
I’ve never set out to write a series, yet I have written two. With my first, as I neared the end of Plan Bea I weaved in a character to officiate the wedding and thought, wow! It would be really cool if he used to know Cecelia, hence Plan Cee. Oh, and initially her name wasn’t Cecelia LOL. As for Go On, Girl and Mom Genes I loved the characters in the story, and “missed them.” When you don’t plan in advance, the challenge is to be able to create a second story that is consistent with what you already wrote.
On being a Professional:
- How did you make your first dollar?
- I started babysitting when I was really young.
- What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
- I waited tables throughout college at Friendly’s. I loved it, but I hated scooping the ice cream and making Sundaes.
- What are three qualities that got you where you are today?
- Determination, courage, faith in myself
- How do you find work-life balance?
- I’m still searching for this.
- What’s the best advice someone has given you?
- This is actually the advice I give others… Don’t work for the job you have, work for the job you want.
- What relationship advice would you give your younger self?
- You can’t change anyone, and relationships should make you happy, not sad.
- What are three qualities that are most important in a partner?
- Compassion, understanding, and a sense of humor
- What’s the craziest thing you ever did for love?
- Where should I start??? I wrote a whole book, Dangled Carat, about this…
Fun & Silly Questions:
- What photo is currently the on your phone’s lock-screen?
- The default water picture
- One thing you’re exceptionally good at?
- Driving myself crazy
- One thing you’re especially bad at?
- I’m a calendar failure….I either forget to look or put in the wrong dates / times
- What’s the last show you binge-watched?
- Designated Survivor
- What are the things you can’t live without in your kitchen?
- The battery operated wine opener! I also love my range.
- What are the things you can’t live without in your wardrobe?
- I have a denim obsession. I think I have over 50 pairs!
- What would we find if we looked in your handbag right now?
- A pen, a used tissue, a wallet, and chapstick
- Do you have any pet peeves?
- Yes, a lot. But the one that drives me the most crazy is when people eat an after dinner mint / candy while they are waiting to be seated at a restaurant.
- What does your morning routine look like?
- A blur! I mainline coffee, make a social media appearance, write a little, work out for at least a half hour, dash into the shower and race to work.
- How do you clear your mind after a tough day?
- Hanging out chatting with my husband. Oh, and a glass of wine doesn’t hurt.
A few of her favorites…
- Favorite scent: The ocean
- Favorite color: Green
- Favorite food: Pasta with shrimp and spicy sauce
- Favorite word: Perplexing
- Favorite book: Bitter is the New Black
- Favorite vacation spot: Aruba
- Favorite time period in history: The roaring 20’s
- Favorite article of clothing: A pair of Dolce and Gabana jeans I purchased years ago on eBay.
- Favorite drink of choice: A rich cabernet
- Favorite animal: A tie – cats and dogs
- Favorite source of caffeine: Coffee
- Favorite Season: Summer
Books by Hilary Grossman:
Connect with the Author
Meet Hilary: By day, I work in the booze biz. On the weekends I am a licensed real estate salesperson. And at night, I hang out with my “characters.” I have an unhealthy addiction to denim and high heel shoes. I’ve been known to walk into walls and fall up stairs. I only eat spicy foods and is obsessed with my cat, Lucy. I love to find humor in everyday life. I liken life to a game of dodge ball – I try to keep many balls up in the air before they smack me in the face. I live on Long Island.
Enter the Giveaway!