This Thursday, March 8th, we celebrate International Women’s Day. International Women’s Day (IWD) is a worldwide event that celebrates women’s achievements while calling for gender equality.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means when you click on a link and purchase any item on that site, there is no additional cost to you but I receive a small commission. Thank you for your support.
What is International Women’s Day?
According to InternationalWomensDay.com, ‘International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.’
IWD is not affiliated with any one group but rather brings together organizations, charities and women all over the world. Since the early 1900s women have marched together demanding voting rights, better pay, and gender equality. In 1911 the first International Women’s Day was celebrated and since 1975 the United Nations has created a theme each year for the celebration.
This year’s IWD theme is #PressforProgress, which is a recognition of the global movement of advocacy, activism and support surrounding gender inequality and sexism. The original intent behind IWD has still not been realized, as not only does the gender pay gap still exist, but sexual misconduct against women is still a major issue. Think back on the allegations against Harvey Weinstein and the #MeToo movement that followed in it’s trail, giving women a voice against the powerful men that abused them.
Although gender equality won’t happen overnight, women throughout the world are making positive gains everyday. There’s a strong growing global movement towards advocacy, activism and support.
How Can I Get Involved?
- Visit InternationalWomensDay.com for a stream of recent news articles to stay updated on what’s happening in the world
- Join one of the events happening in your community that are listed on the website and take action to #PressforProgress
- Pledge to help women and girls achieve their ambitions and take your own actions to achieve equality. You can visit the website or use my widget below where it says Will you #PressforProgress?
- Spread the word and promote action through social media. Ideas on what to share or download #PressforProgress selfie cards:
- Maintain a gender parity mindset
- Challenge stereotypes and bias
- Forge positive visibility of women
- Influence the beliefs and actions of others
- Celebrate women’s achievements
- Press of Progress
Tell us: What Inspires You to Take Action?
Short Link: https://wp.me/p9w9Yy-qYm