A few months ago I shared a review round-up of my Ipsy and Sephora subscriptions from January to March. Today I’m sharing my April thru June boxes. Read on to see what I got in my boxes, my opinions on the products I received, and find out which box was the winner this season.
Sephora Play – April 2017
- MakeUp Forever – Aqua XL Eye Pencil in Black: 3/5 Stars – I was happy to try this eyeliner because it’s similar to the black eyeliner I use on my upper inner eye waterline. It was a little disappointing for that use but might be a good option for people as a regular pencil eyeliner. I personally only use liquid.
- Sephora Collection – Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover 5/5 Stars – This is my regular go-to eye makeup remover so I wasn’t trying something new but I always love getting a product I already know and love.
- Kate Somerville -ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment: I haven’t tested this yet but I love exfoliators and I’ve loved everything I’ve tried so far from this brand.
- Smashbox – Photo Finish Foundation Primer: 4/5 Stars – This primer is similar to one that I love from E.L.F. It’s good but I wouldn’t spend the money for the full-size product when you can get something that works just as well for under $10 in the drugstore.
- Peter Thomas Roth – Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream: I haven’t tested this yet but am looking forward to trying it as it sounds interesting.
Overall Sephora Play April Score: 4/5 Stars.
Ipsy – April 2017
The bag this month was inspired by Coachella and I couldn’t get over how much I loved this bag! 5/5 Stars on the cosmetic bag!
- Glamour Dolls x Lisa Frank Angle Blush Brush: 5/5 Stars – Not only is this makeup brush ridiculously cute but it works well too.
- Meg, Twin Nail Polish in Lovey Dovey: 3/5 Stars – Liked the colors but difficult application
- Jesse’s Girl, Liquid Eyeliner in Black: 4/5 Stars – Haven’t tried this yet but I usually love trying liquid eyeliners.
- Tonymoly, Liptone LipCare Stick in Honey Moisture: 5/5 Stars – I love this chapstick and use it almost every day
- Eau Thermale Avene, Rich Compensating Cream: 4/5 Stars – good moisturizer
Overall Ipsy April 2017 Score: 4.5/5 Stars
April Winner: this month was close but Ipsy won because the cosmetic bag was just so cute!
Sephora Play – May 2017
I was a bit disappointed when I got this one in the mail. The ‘bag’ it came in is pretty much useless. A flat envelope doesn’t fit anything if you’re trying to actually use it. It would’ve been great if it had a zipper and was a bit wider so that you could actually find a use for it.
- Grande Lips, GrandeLIPS Hydrating Lip Plumper in Clear: 0/5 Stars – I don’t like lip plumpers of any kind. I find they don’t do much and they just sting your lips.
- treStiQue, Highlight + Perfect Multipurpose Stick in Maldives Luminescent: 1/5 Stars – I’m not a fan of this product. I prefer powder highlighters compared to liquid or cream based products.
- Nudestix, Magnetic Matte Lip Color: 2/5 Stars – The lip pencil is okay but I’ve received quite a few of them over the past year which means I have more than I need and they’re not my favorite to begin with because the caps don’t stay on well and I’ve had one make a mess in my purse. (Lesson learned to always carry lip products in a small cosmetic bag, and yes, I tend to carry multiples everyday)
- Christophe Robin, Cleansing Purifying Scrub with Sea Salt: 3/5 Stars – It’s a good thing I read the back of this product before using it because I originally thought it was a facial cleansing exfoliant. Once I read the label I realized that it’s for your hair! Who would’ve thought that’s what you would call a hair product? It’s extremely awkward to use and it wasn’t very effective.
- Sunday Riley, Ceramic Slip Clay Cleanser: 4/ 5 Stars – This cleanser is decent but not my favorite. It doesn’t lather well but it left my skin feeling clean and has a gentle clay scent.
Overall Sephora Play February Score: 2/5 Stars. This month was a major loser in my book.
Ipsy – May 2017
This month’s cosmetic bag is perfect for summer! It’s cute and clear, which is ideal for beach days.
- Pur-lisse, BB Tinted Moist Cream SPF 30: 2/5 Stars – Although I generally love this brand, I’m not a fan of tinted BB creams in general.
- Urban Decay, Afterglow in Sin: 3/5 Stars – The highlighter itself is pretty good, but I hate that the sample is a loose little pot that doesn’t have a closure. It’s basically good to try it once or twice and then toss. Who needs a product that’s going to make a mess in your makeup box?
- Pixi by Petra, Endless Silky Eye Pen in BlackNoir: 4/5 Stars – This eye pencil has a solid application but doesn’t really work well in the upper waterline which is the only place I use cream based eyeliner pencils.
- Adesse New York, Organic Infused Gel Effect Nail Lacquer in Surfer Girl: 3/5 Stars – I LOVE the color of this nail polish. The application was okay but the polish itself didn’t last long.
- treStiQue, Mini Matte Lip Crayon in Tuscan Wine: 3.5/5 Stars – I liked the color of this lip pencil but strongly dislike that the lid doesn’t stay on the product well.
Overall Ipsy May 2017 Score: 3/5 Stars
May Winner: This month was a little disappointing from both boxes, though Ipsy’s cute summery bag was a redeeming quality and that was the winner this month.
Sephora Play June 2017
Sephora redeemed themselves this month with the fun summer themed June box. The little bag is cute (though I never use them I still appreciate when they’re cute).
- Verb, Sea Spray: 4/5 – I haven’t used this product yet but generally love sea salt sprays as long as they smell good, so I’m looking forward to trying this one.
- Klorane, Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk: 4/5 Stars – I love getting dry shampoos because they’re a lazy girl’s best friend!
- Coola, Makeup Setting Spray SPF 30: 4/5 Stars – I love this brand! So summery and fun. I love this product but you have to be careful when spraying near your eyes.
- Kat Von D, Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lovesick: 4/5 Stars – I’ll have to check my stock to see if this color is a duplicate for me, but I do love the product. It stays on well but is a little on the drying side.
- Benefit Cosmetics, The POREfessional Face Primer: 5/5 Stars – This is an everyday go-to product for me. Not super exciting to get since I have a few small deluxe samples I’ve gotten in other recent boxes, but always useful and a great product.
Overall Sephora June Score: 4/5 way to redeem yourselves Sephora!!
Ipsy June 2017
This month the bag was so cute I wouldn’t cared if I didn’t like any of the products!!
- theBalm Cosmetics, Balm Springs Blush: 3/5 – I don’t like trying new blushes but this color is pretty. I gave it to my mom and she was excited to try it
- Privai, Matte Moisturizer: 4/5 Stars – This is a good everyday moisturizer option.
- NYX Professional Makeup, Whipped Lip & Cheek Souffle: 4/5 Stars – I would never try this on my cheeks but it’s a good lip gloss option and I liked the color.
- Doucce, Maxlash Volumizer Mascara: 4/5 Stars – This is a good mascara option but not better than my current go-to products.
- Kokie Cosmetics, Nail Polish: 5/5 – I love this nail polish brand and so happy that Ipsy introduced me to it. [I loved it so much that I purchased a recent Ipsy offer with 6 of the polishes!]
Overall Ipsy June 2017 Score: 4/5 for the products but a 4.5/5 overall because of the bag!
June Winner: Honestly, this month was a tie because they were both fabulous.
Overall Battle of the Boxes Winner for April, May, and June combined is… a tie!
This season Sephora and Ipsy were in line with one another. April was good, May was eh, and June was amazing from both boxes. If I had to pick an ultimate winner it would be Ipsy because you get a really cute cosmetic bag in addition to the product samples.
Interested in getting in on the monthly action? Use my Ipsy referral link and I’ll get points through their affiliate referral program. Cheers!
Tune in again for the next battle and sign up to get my posts by email if you don’t want to miss out!
Social Media Short-Link: